Google

Saturday, July 28, 2007

6. All about My Tanks


Photo 6.1 : My top tank

Hi there. Today I am going to reveal my collection of fish to you. I have 3 set of tanks. 2 of them I got it for free from my friend and the another 1 my father bought it for me when I was 10. Wanna know my friend who gave it to me his tanks?? Do you see my picture at the front page?? It’s the guy behind me (the ice cream monster). Actually that guy, named Boy is an 'industrial trainee' (a must subject for all degree and diploma courses) working under my supervision for about 6 months. After finishing his training, I am so relieved that he managed to get CGPA 4.0 on that particular subject.

Before I continue, let me tell you a story behind all of these photos. Actually, I am using my company digital camera (Olympus) without acknowledging other staff, my supervisor and my boss and it happens on Thursday 26/7/2007. The next day (Friday), my boss and my supervisor will be going to Tioman Island to attend Team Building Courses (for Snr. Engineers to Snr. Managers level) sponsored from our top management team. At 8.00 am when I was about to had my coffee before going to work, my boss suddenly call me and ask for cameras...Darn it!!! How the hell he knows?? Realizing there's no place to hide, I just telling him that the camera is with me for personal use. He didn't ask me more but told me to return back the camera because he wants to use it during training. To makes things worse, he told me that the bus is about to leave in no time. I put on my helmet, lock the door and start my bike. On normal day with morning traffic jam , it took 20 minutes to reach my office but on that day, I managed to get there in just 15 minutes. How?? Everytime I reach the traffic light, it already turns green and other vehicles seems to move slower. When I arrived at the entrance of my working place, the bus have just started its engine and the participants were loading their items. My boss cheat on me!!! But at least I've got what he want. One thing that makes me wonder till now is...Why is my boss who owned an MPV and received monthly salary reaching RM4,000 but still cannot afford to buy his own digital camera?? A total weirdo!!! Oh well...lets continue with our topic.

How did I manage to get my friend's tanks for free?? Actually his father is also a fish lover. When he moved to his new house in Johor Bahru, he had lot of things placed outside of his new home waiting to be moved inside including his father's 3 large fully grown Flower Horn fish. Due to lack of supervision, his 3 precious Flower Horn was abducted (stolen) by...no one knows. Shocked and traumatized from that tragedy, his father decided to keep just a single Koi, an
Angelfish and a Common Pleco.

When I got to his home to take his tanks, the only fish that seems to survive is the Pleco. The Koi and the Angelfish are dying for no reason. Seeing from his father reaction, looks like he have gave up already on fish keeping.

Now, after with me for almost a year, here it is... Seems too crowded already. I think I’d better go find another set of tank to get some spaces on the current tanks since fish growth will become slower if the swimming spaces is too minimum. I also decided to have minimum décor and bare floors, so I put 3 resin decors that looks like drift wood on top of the tank floor.

Photo 6.2 : Inside my top tank...Kois, Gouramis, Red Tinfoil Barbs and Goldfish

Photo 6.3 : Inside my top tank...Bala Shark and...I didn't know the name of the yellowish fish at the center

Photo 6.4 : Black female Koi on the left, on the right (in front of the Red Tinfoil Barb) is the unknown fish name. You know what type of fish is that?? Let me know

Photo 6.5 : My Angelfish and Pangasius Catfish. The decors is made from resin

Photo 6.6 : Survivors from the previous tank owners...Common Pleco

The photo above is taken from my top tank, under it is another tank. Also quite crowded. The top tank have a pair of Red Tinfoil Barb, A pair of Angelfish, A pair of Bala Shark, A pair of Mad Barb, A pair of Giant Gourami, 5 Kois 4 Dwarf Gouramis, 3 Pearl Gouramis, 1 Pangasius Catfish, 1 Clown Knifefish, 3 Two Spot Gouramis, 2 Corys, 3 Common Goldish, 1 Common Pleco (only survivor from the previous owner) and 2 other fish that I didn’t know its name.

For the bottom tank, I’ve decided to fill it with Cichlids only. At first, I am keeping Guppies, Swordtails and Tetras but after I put in 5 Soldier Cichlids (Venustus), nightmares started to happen. The small fish is devoured one after another. I started to realized something terrible had happened when I found out my tetras have gone…all 10 of them. Then my guppies and my swordtails also received the same fate. Then I bought another 3 more small Neon Tetras for observation. When I put them inside the tanks, the Cichlids started to chase the Tetras around the tank but did not eat them. At night when I was going to bed, I switch off the light for the tank and suddenly…the bottom tank’s water began to splash. I watch to see what could have happened and then I saw my 3 little Tetras is already inside the mouth of 3 Cichlids. The head of the Tetras still outside their mouth and it seems that the Cichlids are having a hard time swallowing it. Few moments later they’re gone. After that night I finally conclude that the Cichlid is an aggressive fish especially when the surrounding is dark. So…the Cichlids must be kept with other bigger fish or other Cichlidae species. I have 5 Venustus, 4 Auratus, 2 Blood Red Jewel Cichlids, 2 Blue Jewel Cichlids, 3 small Lavender Mbunas, 4 Blue Mbunas, 4 Yellow Cichlids, 2 White Cichlids, 6 Nile Tilapia and of course 1 Common Pleco.


Photo 6.7 : My Blue Mbuna, Yellow Cichlids and Auratus

Photo 6.8 : For my bottom tank, I put old barrel resin decor since the Cichlids likes to play hide n seek

Outside of my house, I also bought a crafted cement flower pots and transform it into a small pond to breed Guppies. Also a small plastic flower pots, clay pots and my childhood tank for catfish breeding. Here is my breeding centre…

Photo 6.9 : Cement flower pot(center) and plastic flower pot(right)

Photo 6.10 : Views inside the cement flower pot. Its a breeding pond for my Guppies

Photo 6.11 : Underwater vegetation is put as a spawning place, hiding place and playing area for Guppy's fry

Photo 6.12 : Adult Guppy, Breeder and few young Guppies


Photo 6.13 : Guppy's fry is hiding from my camera. They are so shy...Unlike their parents

Photo 6.14 : Inside the plastic flower pot, hundreds of catfish fry

Photo 6.15 : The clay flower pot


Photo 6.16 : Inside the clay flower pot, 40 days old catfish, 100 of them lurking inside the cloudy water


Photo 6.17 : My childhood tank with few young catfish. Inside is a real drift wood

Photo 6.18 : The catfish didn't realize me, actually the water is more cloudy

Photo 6.19 : The catfish is a shy fish, the drift wood is their hiding place

What is your opinion or comments on my collections?? Anything from you to share?? Just mail to me to be published on my blog. Until then, please take a good care of your fish. See you on the next chapter.

No comments: